Curried Potatoes and Vegetables
This is a versatile dish, you can change it anyway you like by adding different vegetables or loading up on the vegetables. You can make this a fast weeknight meal by using frozen mixed vegetables if you like.
- 1 medium Onion, Diced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 2 Carrots, peeled, cleaned cut into bit-sized slices or cubed.
- 1 head of Broccoli, cleaned and cut into florets.
- 5 Potatoes, cleaned and diced (You can peel the potatoes or leave the skin on)
- Curry Powder
- Apple Cider Vinegar to taste
- Sugar to taste (optional)
As you may have figured, I dont measure my ingredients. I taste my food throughout the cooking process to see what seasoning may be needed.
- Place your potatoes in a large pot. Cover with cold water, add a bay leaf and about 1-2 Tablespoons of Salt.Bring to a boil, then cook on Low for 10 minutes. Until fork or sharp knife can be easily inserted and removed from potato. Strain the potatoes in a colander and set aside.
- In a Large saute pan or large pot, heat your oil on medium high heat.
- Add your onion and cook about 7-10 minutes, you want them to brown but not burn. This will heighten the flavor of your dish.
- Add the minced garlic, 2 teas of Curry, 1 teas of ginger, 1 teaspooon of cumin to your pan. Stir well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add your sliced carrots and a little bit of water, stir then cover to steam (about 5 minutes)
- Add your cut broccoli and a little more water, stir then cover to steam (about 5 minutes)
- Turn your heat down to Medium Low. Add your potatoes and additional spices. (I like to add a good amount of curry maybe an additional 1 -2 teaspoons – not too much because the curry flavor will intensify the longer it sits)
- Stir everything in your pot, add a splash of vinegar. Cook and additional 3 minutes before tasting.
- If the flavor seems bitter, add a little sugar just about 1 teaspoon to see if that improves the flavor.
To use Frozen Vegetables follow steps 1-4, Add your frozen vegetables to the pot, cover until thawed and cooked, then continue with steps 7-8.