This is great for fall weather and even better with ice-cream.
Use Apples, Pears, Plums, Stone Fruits or berries.
For the Crisp Topping:
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teas baking powder
- 1/2 teas cinnamon
- 1/4 teas salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled.
For the Fruit Filling:
- 2 pounds firm fruit (4-5 apples, 5-6 pears)
- 1-3 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon spice (any one your like – experiment!)
- 1-3 Tablespoons Cornstarch, depending on juiciness of fruit.
To make the topping:
- In a medium bowl – Whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the chilled butter and use your fingers, a fork, or pastry knife to combine the mixture together until the butter is incorporated and it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Cover and place in fridge so you can make the filling.
- Granola Crisp topping: 1 cup rolled oats. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour. 1/2 cup brown sugar. 1/2 cup sugar. Pinch of salt. 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces.
To make the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Cut the fruit into slices or cubes, your choice (be sure not to use the core!). Slices are nice. You should have about 5-6 cups.
- Place the fruit in an ungreased 8-inch square dish, and spread it out evenly. Drizzle the 1/4 cup water over the fruit, use less water if the fruit is very juicy.
- Scatter the topping over the fruit without pressing down on it.
- Bake until the topping is browned and the fruit is tender and the juice is bubbling, about 45-50 minutes.
- Use a glass, ceramic or non-reactive dish.
Serve warm with Ice Cream.